Thursday 6 September 2012

PHISH AGAIN..

Those that know me (how many times have I used that phrase on my blog?) know that I am a pretty experienced web user/publisher/professional. It's part of what I do each day sat here behind my desk.

I have a good friend who is the same, perhaps even more so given he owns and runs a prominent website in Hungary.

So, this morning I was a little surprised to receive an email from facebook saying that my friend wants to be your friend on Facebook. Surprised me because he already is on my facebook list - given that he was the first person on there many years ago! - and surprised because I use my iPolko email address on facebook and not my work address (because that's just sensible).

So, I forwarded the email to my friend and he confirmed he hadn't sent a request to my work email - why would he?

I then went back to the original email. Took a better look at it and suspected a phishing / identity theft scam disguised as a legitimate Facebook friend request type attack. It was expertly done though, given that the friend's name and facebook profile were part of the email and that they had connected my work email with my facebook friend - even more strange as Polko Polonsky and my work name are very different!! There are very few people who know both and know they are the same person.

Here's the email. If you get one similar be real careful and don't click the link to go to facebook.


Always better to type the URL/web address directly into a browser (it's not exactly long is it?) and go to facebook yourself without the assistance of a 'convenient' email link saying that No matter how far away you are from friends and family, Facebook can help you stay connected.

If you use the link you won't be very connected for very long as the phisher takes over your account and spams everyone on your friends list!

So, you have been warned - be careful. Always think twice before using a shortcut link sent to you in an email. Even the most wary and experienced of us can sometimes (almost) be fooled.

More wise words (and some foolish ones) soon...

P


No comments: