Thursday 7 May 2009

OOOOPS...

Today's news contained a topical clip about a research team that have randomly bought up cheap hard drives from online disposal websites, eBay and PC auctions and then discovereed all manner of confidential information on them or in deleted but recoverable spaces.

They even found weapons testing details on some, contractor arrangements and corporate bank account numbers - supposedly disposed of by a responsible public sector organisation that has a published data integrity policy. And they want us to agree to ID cards? My arse. Wait til the next time somebody asks me if my company have a similar policy in p
lace (see end picture - there's our policy on these matters).

This is topical because I have an old 3.4Gb drive that's been on the office floor for ages (say it three point four..... sounds feeble now, I paid a fortune for it in the days when drives were sized in Megabytes!). So, it's time to well and truly dispose of the thing. To help in any future endeavours of the same type that you might have - and to save your details being 'found' and used against you (!) - here's a mini-tutorial..

1. Take hard drive and crack open the case. There are no screws on most drives you just pry open the aluminium (US readers spot the second i, and pronounce it!) and peer inside.
2. Obtain a couple of star bit screwdrivers from Maplins or similar retailer and undo
a load of screws. In fact, all that you can see.
3. You should now be able to lift off the metallic coated disks one by one. The last few may not come out easily - just get a big screwdriver underneath and bend 'em up!
4. Marvel at the slippery shiny sensation in your hands. They are coated and feel great!
5. Lament in the destruction of said shiny surfaces with your Stanley knife..
6. Scatter the bits across various places and places (responsibly of course) and sleep safe in the knowledge nobody will uncover your financial details or personal web surfing preferences, etc - well at least until the government give them away or sell them when harvested..

Geek? Me? Never.. You should see what I've done to one of my PS3 controllers this week!

Here's my homage to the dead drive. Art indeed!

1 comment:

PipL said...

It's security that is my issues with the cards. That and cost. I don't feel it impinges on my personal freedom to have one. I would very much object to paying for one if they became compulsory. But mostly I am not convinced that the data can be kept securely. People seem to be rubbish at that!