Tuesday 5 January 2010

LET IT SNOW...


Snow. Snow. Snow.
Lots of it. And this time, for a very long time – at least in the balance of 21st century weather patterns (which isn't hard given this is the 10th year of 100?).. or is this just a tipping point?

I do love snow. It brings out the best in people and the worst in people. How many times in the past few days have you heard people moaning about the snow and ‘when will it go away’ or ‘it’s alright but I’ve got things to do’.

My advice to all is simple. Get over it. Not a damn thing you can do about it. You ain’t that important and if you didn’t turn up for work for a few days, you know what? Not a damn thing would change anyhow.


Don’t get me wrong, life isn’t as easy with it. This morning I had to spend 30 minutes digging a channel to two chicken coops and digging them out before I could even get food and water to them. And the water is freezing within an hour so it needs changing and warming back up again. You have to spare some thought for the animals that are stuck out in this stuff – one or two hours wrapped up in trendy, bright coloured Berghaus or North Face clothing with a bobble hat to top it all off and us humans are as toasty as anything. Then we return to the comfort of our constantly running central heating (not our house I hasten to add!) and log fires (our house, most definitely).

I live on a hill. A very steep hill that is exposed to the wind. This means my hill is cut-off – to all but those with (some) Land Rovers, tractors and quad bikes.. but when it really snows, then forget any of these as feet are the only useable method of transport.


So, as I take it easy over the next week or two (the forecast is for more peeps!) this gets me a thinking..

What are life’s essential comforts when you get snowed in?

1. Top of my list has to be a warm human being to cuddle up to. Preferably an attractive one with a brain and plenty of conversation as well as warm blood pumping through their veins. It helps.
2. A pub within 2 miles walk, that has a real fire and serves good beer.
3. A sledge for the fun of it.
4. Call of Duty MW2 on PS3 (rumour has it that Xbox’s give up the ghost in such extreme weather – tongue embedded in cheek)
5. A Land Rover.
6. Plenty of books.
7. Plenty of red wine.


In this weather, my life is truly complete!


No comments: