Thursday 17 October 2013

STROKE THE ROOSTER..

Joe Thornton.

Name mean anything to you?

Probably not to most of my European readers. But the twitter-sphere and lots of US TV channels have been set alive by a comment he made recently. Here's the story.

Joe Thornton is the 34 year old Captain of the San Jose Sharks ice hockey team in .. well San Jose strangely enough.

His team mate and new player in the NHL Tomas Hertl scored his first NHL hat trick when playing against the New York Rangers last week. Only it wasn't a hat trick, he went on to put the puck in the net a fourth time - a rarity in hockey at the best of times but for a rookie player, quite the talking point.

Fast forward to a press conference in Vancouver on the following Thursday night.


Thornton butted into the chat at this point by saying that if he had scored four goals, “I’d have my cock out if I scored four goals. I’d have my cock out, stroking it.”
There was no way a room full of reporters was not going to make sure that comment went as far and wide as it could. And it did.
The sports news, twitter and every other social media platform ignited with re-reporting re-tweeting and embellishing the original story. Page after page of dedicated stories popped up on the comments made rather than the amazing performance of Hertl (like this one - lol).

There are even plenty of image meme's popping up and being sent around with a young Joe Thornton holding a rooster, etc. Here's another to keep it going! 




You know I couldn't resist it with the recent chicken themes I've had on my blog.


It's still doing the rounds - if you're on twitter check #joethornton


Youtube is now filling up with parody songs too...




More hockey news in a few days...

  

No comments: