Thursday 9 July 2009

STATE OF THE NATION..

Back from holiday in Central Europe. What a nice country Slovakia was. Refreshing change from the dirty streets of anytown, UK (and the Hungarians won't like this but far cleaner than the streets of Budapest too). Even the poorer gypsy villages are still clean and orderly.

So what of the UK?

At the moment I am involved in a piece of work that means I am researching the UK government's (and various regional partner's) role in attracting more companies, more jobs and more prosperity from overseas. It doesn't bode well when I am having a devils job even getting hold of anybody from the central government department charged with inward investment promotion! This is an ever expanding public sector employee problem - mails returned with "I am now away on annual leave until..."

I copy here an e-mail I just sent to my brother that says it all:

-------------------------------
From: ------
To: -----
etc

dial this number 0207 215 2471 (with your phone on speakerphone)
This is the published direct line to UKTI (UK Trade and Investment) - the central body charged with a) promoting the UK as an inward investment location internationally, b) promoting all UK business to export more and therefore earn more money and jobs...

put your phone on speakerphone and let everyone within earshot hear the state of the nation...

then pack your bags as quick as you can!

P
-------------------------------

End of today's blog. I have a bag to pack.

Unfortunately, I have a few more years to wait until my son is through school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I agree with the article written by Peter Hargreaves in last Saturday's Telegraph - "Don't raise taxes - sort out public sector scrounging". I particularly agree that it would be far more cost effective for the tax payer to pay these lazy scroungers dole money than the 30K+ salaries (including final salary pension schemes and bonuses).
BiG