Wednesday 9 June 2010

CITY FLICKERS..

 I noticed an interesting banner on a website today.. unlike my usual targeted approach to the web I clicked and meandered as the subject matter proved too tempting..

It may well be for you too (so I've retained the link through on the image).

A listing of films all set in one city.. now there's an idea.  I must say I've not seen many of the older Paris based films on the list and it made me want to find them (I was also sad to see that District 13 wasn't there but then again it was a love based theme too and that film is anything but a love film!)..

So to kick off this sometime random and untimed series on my Blog.. let's have London.  After all, you don't have to think too hard to come up with a long list of films based in and on the theme London?

My list would proceed as follows:

McVicar (1980) - OK, not all the movie is in London but the parts that don't involve jail
largely are. I love all the stuff in this movie, from the gunshot scene to the running out
of a suburban house from the arms of the rozzers.. great gritty 70s imagery (released in '80
but filmed a year earlier I think?) and with a soundtrack to die for. FREE ME!!!

Poor Cow (1967) - This is a great film on so many different levels.
It's an early Ken Loach so you know you're going to get the gritty again. It follows
an ordinary life of a woman caught up in drudge. Just the type of film I enjoy - and now
I sound a complete pessimist depressive! - just when you think it can't get worse for the main
character it goes from bad to badder.. Was Ken Loach taking the p*ss when he called her
Joy? Fantastic. Oh, and there's a Daimler Dart in scene for around 4 seconds when Joy
crosses a well-heeled part of London. I can spot one a mile off!

Layer Cake (2004) - Daniel Craig just before he got a head bigger than Jupiter and got
really really boring (did you see the Jonathan Ross interview??).  Great film, moody
scenes of London as the main character does his last few deals in cold calculated
focused businesman type of way. Great ending to a film that is a million miles away
from anything Hollywood could make.  Is this the only film ever made that we don't get
to know the main characters name in? Not once is it mentioned, or even on the credits????

South West 9 (2001) - one of those music-fuelled films that mash up a whole load of
characters in a single days events set in London's SW9 district (Stockwell/Angell Town). Great post-industrial locations found in the film include the Orphanage for Fatherless Girls (a famous Victorian institution near Coldharbour Lane), Electric Avenue (yes the same one as in the Eddie Grant song) and they use StockwellChurch (I think?) really
well for a rave scene towards the end.. just brilliant and very unknown/unappreciated
little brother to films like Human Traffic.. The main female character Amelia Curtis
never made much of a film career after this, but is often to be spotted in things
like Holby City!

Sorted (2000) - Another little known film with an impressive part played by Tim Curry
as a weirdo nightclub owner / drug kingpin. The main character finds himself in London
from Scunthorpe of all places! Brilliant music soundtrack and some really great sound
and special effects as he winds his way through London's underground club culture
in a whodunnit mystery for the rave generation.. Jason Donovan as a gay dj
character is unmissable!





(remember this is work in progress - I'll slowly complete this as my memory brings back films - don't wait up!).
  
 

1 comment:

PipL said...

I suggest Sweeney Todd. And 28 Days Later. I know that they head up towards Manchester, but the scenes of a completely desolate London in the first half of the film are still one of my favourite pieces of cinema.

I'm also sad that there's a Paris list without La Haine, but given it's name translates to Hate, it's not surprising to have not been on a romantic Paris list!